Thursday, March 8, 2018

Cats Defined?

Hi Topflight fans! Today I'm sharing a layered mixed media card that tries to play with the idea that cats are a bit of a mystery (at least they are to me, a dog person - LOL).


I first created a background with a Tim Holtz Plaid Layering Stencil and Distress Inks blended through the stencil with fabulous Clarity Stencil Brushes (oh I love how softly they blend in color without any harsh blending tool marks). Next I stamped out the awesome Studio Light Cats & Girls Cat Sayings background stamp. I think the various definitions of cats in this stamp are a hoot!


I took a cue from one of those definitions ("cat around like to spend one's time aimlessly or idly") and picked an adorable For the Love of Stamps "Cute Kitties" stamp of a kitty sleeping on top of a pile of clean laundry as the focal point for the card. I Copic colored and fussy cut, and popped up this image on foam adhesive.


To add a little dimension to, softness behind and frame around this kitty image, I die cut a rectangular stitched frame and backed it with a piece of vellum before popping it up with foam adhesive strips. The the words in the background were still visible but softened through the vellum so that the kitty image stood out and popped from the card front. 


Since now the particular cat definition that was applicable to this kitty image was mostly obscured by the frame and vellum, I re-stamped just this definition with VersMark Ink on black card stock and heat embossed it with Ranger Super Fine Embossing Powder. To center this definition under the kitty image, I cut it apart and popped up the different segments on foam adhesive too. For a sparkly finishing touch I sprinkled on a healthy number of gold and orange star confetti and sequins.


I hope you had fun visiting with me today as I played with lots of different media to craft this card. If you'd like more detailed information about the products used or process of creating this card, please check out my blog HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10